Clans of Gaea
This page will be split into two, the mechanical and the narrative aspects of character creations. The first section will have general guidelines applicable to any game I run (unless explicitly stated otherwise). The second will have the mechanical checklist to creating a character which is advised to be followed roughly chronologically. The third will have some questions to ask your character to prompt a deeper level of thought.
The following are key and general aspects to character creation:
- Obviously follow the guidelines from the rules page
- Your personality traits, bond, flaw and ideal should directly tie into your background somehow. A serviceable backstory would be 5 sentences, each directly explaining your character details.
- No 'evil' characters. Edgy is fine.
- Backstories should be, for the most part, shareable.
- Your characters are above average at level one, but still not heroes capable of incredible feats.
- Your flaw(s) should be integral parts of your character. A flawed character overcoming their flaws is more interesting than someone perfect.
- Any deeds in your backstory should be reasonable for a level one character to achieve. Nothing is more awkward than a renowned warrior capable of besting 5 men at once on paper is felled by a single goblin's arrow. Or a master locksmith being stumped by a simple lock. Let your heroic deeds unfold in the game. Let your aspirations to achieve great deeds drive you.
- Any secrets you have should be relevant to the world in some way.